Thursday, August 21, 2014

Hi there, Haider.

First of all. I like but it feels ripped directly (and far less vibrantly) from Ravanaan. Or am I projecting things?

Secondly, Wow! What a great response yesterday, guys! I didn't know other people shared my experience with drifting from Bollywood to Korean (and other Asian) entertainment.

I do find it deeply ironic that as Bollywood's claims of "going global" have gotten louder, their old markets have dried up. And I speak from personal experience that the parents of friends from places like Burma and Indonesia and the former Soviet Union with know Mithun and Amitabh and maybe Shahrukh and Salman but then the youngsters know Lee Jun Ki and Jang Geun Suk.

The thing is that certain segments of "Bollywood" have been chasing after the same audience Hollywood chases after, whether its the result of corporate money men from Hollywood or star/rich kids coming back with degrees from NYU and UCLA, the result is the same--alienating old audiences and not really building up new audiences. And maybe that's where the nostalgia and self-references and promoting of star sons comes in. New audiences don't care who's son is the hero but for those of us who love Jackie Shroff that's enough to be interested in his son Tiger.

I'm just thinking out loud here but if Bollywood is going to catch the interest of the same Westerners who watch Korean films, they need to do what Korean films for export to the West do. Go after the right audience (usually a 'genre' audience); play a bit to stereotype; and give Westerners what they expect in terms of cinematography, etc. Basically, make The Lunchbox and Gangs of Wasseypur and stick an toned-down item into Monsoon Wedding and there's what the West wants from India.

But if they want to take back markets like Manipur and Burma… it's a whole different ball game and I don't know if any of the guys making Hindi films right now has the knowledge or even desire to do it.

PS Since the New Yorker has opened its archive for the time being, this is an interesting write-up on KPop.

And a trailer for a film I'm dying to see… did nothing over here but was a huge hit in Japan.

3 comments:

Thelondongirl said...

So where do I get to see that film, it looks great. I won't mention Ninja Assasin becaause that was no where near what I think this film is going to be. Thanks for that heads up

DPSF said...

When you say ripped from Raavanan do you mean the song itself of the picturization (or both)?

It also reminded me of kodu potta, I think because they both have some strong influence of folk dances (+ sort of facial paint + main dancer look a bit borderline): they are both dances with a "manly" feel; the kind that demonstrate force and serve to show off. There is also this attitude in, for example, "main aisi cheez nahin" of khuda gawah (the parts where Amitabh dances).

But I also saw a difference between bismil and raavanan's kodu potta. Bismil seems more tense, it's a stage performance, where Haider planned everything in advance and wants to give a message. His emotions are contained and his movements are mastered.
In Kodu Potta, it's more spontaneous, and it's more about the relationship Veeraiya shares with the village people. He lets himself go. And we, like Ragini, witness this and realise something about him. For me that's why it feels so vibrant (and it's extremely well picturized).

Shahid is such a great dancer though.. I really look forward to Haider, because it seems he gives a really great performance.

Filmi Girl said...

@TheLondonGirl Rurouni Kenshin?? I just ordered the DVD from YesAsia--they have the less official versions with English subtitles. :D The sequel just came out in theaters, though, and is also cleaning up at the box office! :DDD

I love those type of Japanese period films. They are very culturally specific, though. And I guess that is what Moimeme was talking about the other day because when Hollywood did try to make one of these types of movies only more "generic" (47 Ronin) it flopped REALLY hard.

@DPSF I meant the feel of the picturization. I totally get what you're saying about it being a stage piece vs. a village dance. I guess… my initial thoughts were just that it looked very, very similar. I wonder what the context will be…

Like you, I'm looking forward to Haider! Shahid always gives a good performance. :)

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl