Thursday, March 6, 2014

Thursday: Is Revolver Rani out yet? What about now? Now?

Okay! So! I'll be away to New York City this weekend to see the divine Miss Kyary Pamyu Pamyu and won't be back until Monday. I was hoping to see Queen but it looks like if anything is playing in Times Square it's going to be that zom-com Total Siyapaa . I mean, Ali Zafar I love but no. Not even you could get me to sit through that. (DIE ROM-COMS! DIE! DIE!)


----

Gulaab Gang's release has been blocked!!!! Wow!! Sampat Pal is coming down hard. Well, this is what happens when you appropriate real life imagery. People don't always appreciate having their imagery turned into a film. It's too late now but how much trouble could have been avoided by having the masala film be about the Tie-Dyed Sari gang or the Ladies Who Wear Double Denim Gang or something.

What happened to the art of the metaphor? There's something so plodding and pedestrian about ripping things directly from the headlines. The wonderful thing about using metaphor to tell a story is that it doesn't get dated. There's no one right answer and you can take away different messages over time.

ETA: Ban has been lifted?



----

Here's an interesting looking book from Rosie Thomas called Bombay Before Bollywood: Film City Fantasies.

“The history is at a point where it needs to be fleshed out,” Thomas remarks. “We have started to hear the same old story about Indian cinema but if one is to understand cinema as a cultural phenomenon, I think it timely and particularly important given how quickly things are disintegrating outside the boundaries of Indian memory. Already, we are moving outside the point at which we can find audience members who remember anything for it.”

So… I'll be ordering a copy of this.

----

Kevin Spacey is going to Tampa to be part of an acting "masterclass." Other Hollywood celebs have been hinted at.

----

Ali Zafar is going to be serious in Kill Dil. I. cannot. wait.

----

You guys!!!!!! Dippy's ex-piece and current Wolf of Bangalore Siddharth Mallya went to a Hollywood party and talked to Neil Patrick Harris. And this was worthy of an entire article for some reason!!!

----

Pics from the Bang Bang sets.

----

So, now Ajay Devgn's name is getting thrown around for Bajirao Mastani. I'm okay with that.

----

Is Amy Jackson a victim of domestic violence?

----



REVOLVER RANI!!!!!!!!!











































2 comments:

odadune said...

I think I need this book too-I don't know much about Fearless Nadia, but I saw some of the late-era Wadia-produced Arabian Nights/swashbuckler movies in my Sanjeev Kumar phase (speaking of people you would never expect to see holding a rapier) and I saw waaay too much of Keshu Ramsey's 90s action films a year or so back. So for once I actually have some dim idea of what the author is talking about. :)

Don't have time to watch the Revolver Rani trailer right now, but that is an awful poster-with some decent reference photos even I could probably throw something together better than that over the weekend, and I don't even own photoshop.

odadune said...

Forgot to say, Ajay's been rumored for Bajirao for a while, and I think he's the "safe" choice. Dignity and abstract yearning are his strong suits, plus he's a better horseman than most of the other A-listers, and the Bajirao was a cavalry general. SRK, Salman (the original ORIGINAL choice for the role) and Ranbir have pretty full dancecards; Ranveer just made an SLB movie and is probably looking to do something different now; Hrithik and Aamir are picky about their projects; Shahid and Akshay *might* be able to manage a character like that but the audience would never accept them in the role, and to me they don't seem to have the mental wiring to handle SLB's craziness at close quarters for months on end.

Note from Filmi Girl:

I love Bollywood - and all the ridiculous things that happen in Bollywood - but it doesn't mean that I can't occasionally make fun of various celebrities and films.

If you don't like my sense of humor, please just move on by - Trolls are not appreciated and nasty comments will be deleted.

xoxo Filmi Girl